[bksvol-discuss] Re: Firestorm by Nevada Barr

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith59@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 06:34:18 -0400

Okay.  Now that I'm more awake, I can provide a little more background
on this topic.

I still don't remember who asked me to rescan Firestorm, but I'm
pretty sure that it was whoever validated Winter Study because this
was the catalyst for the whole discussion.

Jim Pardee did the original scan, and we had a discussion about how it
was one of his early scans and he offered to rescan it, but I had
already ordered the book and said I'd do it.  Jim and I then talked
about how we'd all learned so much about improving scans over the
years and I remember saying that I'd cringe to look at some of my
earliest submissions to BookShare!

This morning, I downloaded the BookShare copy of Firestorm and K1000
rank spelling said that 97.62% of the words were accurate.  My
recently submitted copy ranked at 98.08%.  Looking at both lists of
mis-spelled words, most of them were names or slang words, but the
BookShare copy also had a number of other scano type errors.  Mine has
some of those, too, but mostly junk characters and I alerted the
potential validator to this in my note to validators.

Hope this clears up the mystery.

Donna