[bksvol-discuss] Just submitted two more books

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith59@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 21:40:56 -0400

Hi all.

I just submitted two more books.

Firestorm by Nevada Barr is a BSO and was requested by someone who
validated my submission of Winter Study a while back.  I can't
remember who, but here is this one which has been on the wish list for
some time now.

Before and After by E.Gaylon McCollough, M.D.  This is an interesting
book and one that was recommended to me by my mother.  It's a little
conservative for my taste, but still, I agree with quite a lot of
what's in it.

Longer synopses follow.

Firestorm by Nevada Barr

In Firestorm, the fourth book in the Anna Pigeon series, Anna returns
to face the ultimate assault on her career and her life.
As part of the army battling the Jackknife fire in northern
California's Lassen Volcanic National Park, Anna, in her capacity as
spike camp medic and security officer, tends the injuries and the
frayed nerves of the firefighters. When the National Weather Service
predicts a cold front followed by snow, promising to all but
extinguish the fire, the camp is demobilized, but a last-minute rescue
of a firefighter with a broken leg detains Anna and the San Juan crew.
Driven on by the erratic thunderstorm of the front, wind shears in the
steep canyon, creating the deadly weather conditions for a firestorm.
As the ravine explodes in flames propelled by racing winds, the crew
tries desperately to outrun the blaze, ultimately seeking refuge in
their individual silver fire shelters wryly referred to as shake 'n'
bakes.
When the fire finally passes, Anna emerges from her shelter to check
on the fate of her companions. The sound of each exhausted voice, the
sight of each bruised and blackened figure, is cause for
celebration—until one member of the crew is found inside his shelter
with a knife in his back. With darkness comes the snow, making
immediate rescue impossible, and Anna must tend to the physical and
emotional wounds of the crew while seeking the identity of the
murderer in their midst.

Before and After by E. Gaylon McCollough, M.D.

Before and After is the culmination of years of preparation and
study—in various "schools" and arenas. It gave me reason to pause—to
question why do we think what we think, do what we do?
As I looked at choices being made by, for and about people living in a
twenty-first century society, I saw justification for concern. And
believing that a problem, once identified, is on its way to being
resolved, / set out to do what I could to draw attention to
predicaments facing us—one and all—and without fear of what I'd open
up— for remedy's sake.
I wrestled with the decision of how vividly to describe things as I
see them. Subsequently I concluded that it was a reasonable thing to
do. . .and the timing was appropriate.
Before and After brings you face to face with opposing sides of the
points at issue. The book is intended to be provocative. It weaves in
and out of different timeframes, arenas and agendas. A straight-talk
format brings questions to the forefront.
You will see that we are in the midst of a civil war. In this new war
standards are the enemy, achievers are the targets, and ideals are
taboo.
Opinionated readers at all bands of the social spectrum may be
stirred. Problem-makers may cry "foul," but truth-seekers should find
answers to new and old riddles.
You will be encouraged to look inward and question how you fit into
the scheme of things.
We'll review methods of decision-making which might help you "bring
success from inhospitable surroundings," then explore ways to make
good things happen—to look better, feel better, be better.
Before and After re-examines values based upon Natural and man-made
law. As evidenced by the success stories of men and women you will
meet, we are all very much a product of the choices we have made.
If you follow the exercises in self-analysis set forth in Before and
After you may discover how to identify and arouse a sleeping giant
lying dormant within yourself. You could become more than you ever
imagined—physically, mentally, vocationally, socially and spiritually.
Before and After will challenge you to ask why as well as who, what,
when and where—to look more closely at what is happening to, and
around, you. You might also become more resolute in your convictions
and recognize what a far-reaching effect the power of one can have
upon initiating the kind of change that upgrades.

Enjoy!  And as always, no validator should suffer trying to figure out
anything in a book I've scanned!  Just let me know what's wrong and
I'll happily rescan or get sighted help as needed.

Donna