[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fairy tales versus Fantasy and the continuum of categories

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 20:27:37 -0800

Hi Judy, I'd class fairy and folk tales as a division of fantasy because
fantasy can spring from fairy or folk tales and mythology. Now we get into
something interesting because is mythology fantasy? A lot of times when one
says "myth" nowadays one means something which is false or misleading, but
if one is using the term in its original sense, then a myth is an
explanation of origins, i.e., the creation of the world, hence mythology are
stories relating to the origins of  beliefs and cultures. So is mythology
part of religion? See how one gets a continuum where one bleeds into
another. I know we have a list member who bemoans science fiction being
lumped with fantasy, and I really do see his point. Though I certainly
understand it, and I'd like to see fantasy having its own category, I'm
reminded of those authors who write both science fiction and fantasy. Then
we have that little type of fiction which some classify as slipstream. We
have stories which take tropes from alternate universes, engineering, and
fantasy, or an amalgamation of science fiction and fantasy. Then we have
magical realism to muck up the whole megillah. 'What is a categorizer to do?
Regards, Kim Friedman.