[bksvol-discuss] Re: Draft view

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 19:59:29 -0800

Hi Madeleine, thanks for telling me. I was wondering if I was doing anything
wrong. Since I don't "see" the page, I have mine set to normal or print
view. I have my screen reader read the text to me with all the punctuation
marks being read. Often I might have to check for punctuation at the end of
sentences and to know if words are capitalized. If they are, such as what
might sound as the beginning of the sentence, especially if I check the word
and it's capitalized, I conclude the word before it is where I should put
punctuation to mark the end of sentences. Sometimes I have to put in
quotation marks if they were dropped inadvertently by the scanner (referring
to the scanner and not the person scanning). I tend to write to the
submitter a lot of times to verify stuff, especially if there's a word left
out in the text or I'm not sure what that weird word is supposed to be. I
will look up weird stuff and if there is a definition for it, I will tend to
leave it in if it makes sense since I might conclude it's supposed to be
there. I don't always know what all the scannos are. I have a general idea
of some of them such as "bam" for "barn" if it's obvious if I read "he
headed out to the barn to feed the stock". Then it's pretty easy to know
what the word should be and I don't write the submitter about those. I will
write if I'm not sure about something that strikes me as odd. I used to use
a Braille display which connected to the computer via a serial port but this
computer doesn't have one. I can use my present Braille display to check for
spacing and the like. I was a bit concerned because I was wondering if I was
following proper procedure when proofreading books. Regards, Kim Friedman.