[bksvol-discuss] Re: Don't worry! and 2 questions

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:19:31 -0700 (PDT)

The website that explains what NIMAC is, is http://www.nimac.us/.  The first
few paragraphs say:

Welcome to the National Instructional Materials Access Center (NIMAC)
We are a federally-funded, national electronic file repository that
makes National Instructional Materials Accessibility Standard (NIMAS)
files available for the production of core print instructional
materials in specialized formats. Created under IDEA 2004, the NIMAC
receives source files in NIMAS format from textbook publishers, and
makes these files available for download to Authorized Users in the
United States and its territories through an online database. Once
downloaded, files can be used to create a variety of specialized
formats, such as braille, audio, or digital text, on behalf of
qualifying blind, visually-impaired or print-disabled students in
elementary or secondary school.
Please note that NIMAS files are source files and as such they are
not student-ready files that can be handed off directly to a student in
the classroom. In order to create the braille, audio, digital text, or
other format, appropriate technology and training are necessary to
convert files into the finished product.
The NIMAC provides a mechanism for getting NIMAS source files
created by publishers into the hands of state educational agencies
(SEAs), local educational agencies (LEAs) and their accessible media
producers (AMPs) as quickly as possible. This helps ensure that the
needed specialized format is ready for the student as soon as possible,
without unnecessary delays at the beginning of the production process.
Because files are not student-ready, only a small number of users in
each state—those who are responsible for accessible media
production—have direct access to files. Most individuals who are
seeking student-ready formats will go through the same agencies and
channels as in the past to acquire these formats.
It's me, Carrie now. The thing to notice is that these textbooks are only
available to K-12 students. Legally we cannot allow anyone to download these
books other than people who are downloading them for students in elementary,
middle and high school. That's why they are restricted on Bookshare.

HTH, Carrie