[bksvol-discuss] Re: Don't worry! and 2 questions

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:29:36 -0400

Dear Carrie,

A list advisor when I first joined made me laugh when he pointed out that
writing [blank page] on a blank page was an oxymoron! However, If a book needs
reader's notes, I enclose them in brackets. Thanks for paying attention to
these details. It's great you have the matter of omitting spaces between the
dots in an ellipsis  resolved. I won't miss those discombobulated, strung out,
ellipses!

I hope nobody minds if I muddy the waters some more. What about the em dash. I
know the tools doesn't recognize the real em dash symbol, that double or triple
long dash line. I've been using two dashes with no space between. My question
is whether or not to space before and after the double dash. My instincts say
no, that those spaces when they appear in print books are for cosmetic purposes
or to match the chosen font. I think there doesn't need to be a space before
and after dash dash used as an em dash. Does anyone know or have suggestions.

I find mixed messages about another punctuation issue. Should there be spaces
between the following?

" and ' when used as a quote in a quote and conversely, ' and "

In words that is regular quote and apostrophe as in quote within a quote and
the reverse.

Should there be a space between a period and an ellipsis?

We got great answers when Mickey was on list. She's a certified transcriber and
worked professionally in the field for many years. She had answers straight
from the braille transcriber's bible for us.

I've read braille since first grade, but didn't pay attention to punctuation as
much as I should have until I began validating!

Always with love,

Lissi