[bksvol-discuss] Re: Does anyone want...

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:33:23 -0800 (PST)

Julie,

A lot of dialect intimidates me with sight. I scanned
and prevalidated some pages for Shelley when she was
doing Forrest Gump. I would never read that book and
did not volunteer to help with or validate the next
one she put up by the same author.  That's one reason
I passed one of Catherine Cookson's books that had
been on the download list for a long time--there was
so much dialect in the first few pages, I rejected it
(it had already been released innumerable times).
Sometimes, if there's some dialect, as in the Dark is
Rising series, and I'm enjoying the book generally, I
just read it to myself as if the words are normal and
not dialect. Unfortunately, you don't have that option
with speech, or do you? Can you set the speech for
straight English reading regardless of dialect or
accents?

Cindy