[bksvol-discuss] Concerns About Proofreaders

  • From: "Pavi Mehta" <pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:03:58 -0700

Hi All,

Carrie and I just had a discussion regarding the issue of proofreaders
abusing the system by regularly checking out books and checking them
back in almost immediately. We definitely do not want to give credit to
proofreaders who go through these motions without sincerely spending
time on checking and correcting the book, but basically piggyback on the
work of the submitter. We know how much time so many of you put into
your scans and the proofreading process and we don't want the
carelessness of a few to undermine the dedication and painstaking effort
of the majority.

In the past we have written to individuals who have exhibited this
pattern, with a polite warning. As this does not seem to have fully
addressed the problem, we are willing to adopt stricter measures. If you
feel as a submitter that your book has been "pushed to check in" with
little or no attention by the proofreader. Please write to
volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx *offlist*. Carrie and I will review the data and
make a call on whether to send a warning email to the volunteer in
question, and/or if this is a recurring pattern, we will have to
subtract credits from the proofreader's account.

Warm regards,

Pavi Mehta

Volunteer Coordinator, Bookshare

Benetech