[bksvol-discuss] Re: Clarification: Wish List Procedure

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:50:42 -0400

Dear Jake,

This post has two parts, and the second part isn't important and doesn't need an answer. The second part is a kind of speculating out loud about things I shouldn't write about because my grasp of computers is too foggy.

I'm sorry in advance that my question may be frustrating to you and practically everybody else on list who understands computers better than I do. I'm so nervous attempting to ask clearly, but I'm going to be daring and try.

Here is the first part of my question, the part I hope you can explain to me.

It seems to me that to use the address in your message to request books, you have to be subscribed to the Bookshare Discuss list first, meaning to make a request, a person would basically have 2 choices, A. to subscribe to the discuss list and join in the list or maybe go no mail or something, or B. to subscribe, make the request, and then unsubscribe, if they didn't want to deal with a stream of Bookshare discuss posts every day.

It would be so much more Bookshare member friendly if people could make a request without having to join a list, first.

I'm not feeling grouchy or trying to be cantankerous or splitting hairs for the sake of discussion. I'm really trying to understand this process and suspect there's something that should be obvious about it that I don't get.

If the address to request a book is the same one we use when we post other chat as Bookshare-discuss list members, how can nonlist members use the identical address without subscribing first?

So many volunteers don't subscribe to or keep up with either list. That's a guess. Am I right about that? And way more members borrow books without ever subscribing to Bookshare e-mail lists at all. It's these people who I'm afraid won't tell us their wishes because they don't want to have to subscribe to a group.

Now on to part two that I honestly don't mind if you skip completely.

When I imagine solutions that require computer programs to execute, I know I'm out of my depth since I have no idea of how much intricate, highly professional and greatly time consuming work would be involved to turn an idea in to a usable link or list. I'm a music lover and still don't know how to download a song to an MP3 player.

Is it conceivable that sometime, like within a year, people could click a link at the site, and fill in a form that would make a kind of database like we see on step one? It could have fields like title, author, date requested, date needed, if it were needed for a class? Then when a scanner took it, it would disappear from the wishlist as book titles on step one disappear when validators download them. Or there could be two lists, one for time sensitive requests required for study or work, and the other for books requested purely for recreation.

I know another list would probably need to exist, like a list of the title taken with the scanner's name, and date taken.

Is it practical that a couple of volunteers would mind that list, keeping tabs on a book that might disappear and never make it to step one so it could be put on the wish list again?

the more I think about it, the more complicated it becomes. I knew that would happen. It's like me imagining my dream house without consulting an architect and contractor.

I repeat, my first question about how to request books now as the system stands, is the one I'd really like to understand better.

Thanks so much.

Always with love,

Lissi
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>