[bksvol-discuss] Re: Children's bestsellers this week

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 22:38:02 -0800 (PST)

Here's an explanation that I copied from a site explaining it to kidsWhat is a
HOLOGRAM?

Well, a hologram is like a picture. Sort of. You see, when you look at a
picture -- like a photograph -- it is flat. If you took a regular picture of a
big marble, and it had a smaller marble behind it, you would not be able to
look around the big marble to see the little one.

With a HOLOGRAM, you would be able to look around the big marble and see the
little one behind it. It's true. That's because a hologram is in 3-D. The
letter "D" in "3-D" stands for the word "dimension". The "3" in "3-D" stands
for how many "dimensions" something has.

A photo, a piece of paper -- or even this computer screen -- is 2-D, or two
dimensions: up and down (1) and left and right (2). When something has 3-D,
like the world in which we live -- or a hologram -- it has an added dimension:
up and down (1), left and right (2) and forwards and backwards (3). When
talking about dimensions, we call forwards and backwards "depth". So . . . when
we say that a hologram has 3 dimensions, it means we can see up and down, and
left and right, just like a picture or photo . . . but we can also look "into"
the hologram because the hologram, and the objects that it contains, has depth.

Looking at a certain types of holograms is just like looking at something that
is really in front of your eyes. In fact, some holograms are so real that you
want to take your hand and touch the object in it -- but your hand goes right
through thin air. Imagine getting up to get a soda while you're watching a
holographic Super Bowl. When you walk across your living room, you'd walk right
through the players. You could try to kick the ball, but your foot would pass
right through it.

BELOW:

Books Being Scanned List: