[bksvol-discuss] Re: Children's bestsellers this week

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:39:49 -0500

I think that trying to explain a hologram to a blind from birth person is about as hopeless as trying to explain colors, but let me take a stab at it. Ahologram is a flat picture that looks three dimentional. Try to imagine a raised line map. You can feel the lines where borders and places of interest are represented, but those lines are only there to let you know position. The map is still flat. Now, imagine that map as having mountains that actually stick up from the surface. Imagine being able to feel the rooves of the houses and the shape of the houses. That would be something of an equivalent of a hologram. However, the hologram only mimics three dimentions to the eye. If you feel it, it will still feel flat. It is not good enough that anyone will mistake it for reality either. It can be said that it is an optical illusion.

Roger Loran Bailey

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, & the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press: