[bksvol-discuss] Re: Cautionary note: -- careful header removal procedure

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:38:50 -0500

Cindy and Mickey,  depending on what tool you are using,  you may not be
able to use font changes as a qualifying filter for a replace operation.
E.G.  Kurzweil allows filters only for simple searches,  not for
search/replace.

I often remove repeating headers  at the top of pages with Kurzweil
semimanually as follows:

1.  Find the beginning of the actual authored text of the book.

2.  Page down until I find the very first header.  Does not matter if the
header is perfect or it is corrupted.

3.  Select the text of the header--that is either the book title or author
name only--and copy it to the clipboard.  Note that you should not include
the page number in the selection.  For best result select the header text
as follows:

3.1.  If the text part of the header is to the left of the page number,
place the cursor on the leftmost digit of the page number and press
shift-ctrl-home.  This will select the entire text in the header including
any tabs, and junck chars which may be preceeding it up to the position
immediately to the left of the cursor.

3.2.  If the header is to the right of the page number,  place the cursor
immediately to the right of the rightmost digit and press only shift-end.
This will select the text on the current line from the cursor position to
the very end of the line.
Please note that if you pressed also the ctrl key you would be selecting
the whole text to the very bitter end of the current page.

4.  Press ctrl-c to copy the selected text to the clipboard.

5.  open the copy/replace dialogue and paste the text into the 'find' text
field with ctrl-v.

6.  Leave the replacement text field completely blank.

7.  Specify matched case only.

8. Initiate a replace all operation or global replacement.  This will
remove all headers that match the specified string exactly.

9.  Press downarrow once.  If the line below the page number is not blank,
 add a blank line.

10.  Press page down.  If you find a simple page number just ensure it is
followed by a blank line.
If you find a full header,  go to step 3 and start the removal process all
over.

11.    Continue these iterations starting with step 1 until you have
reached the end of the book.  This may take a little while,  but at the
end of the process you will have a book with page numbers and no repeating
headers.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
Research Division,
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
04/07/2005 12:45 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Cautionary note:

Mickey,

Since the fonts of the headings are usually different
from that in the title and author pages, doing a
global replace shouldn't eliminate the those.  If you
check Match Case (in my replace one has to open More
and then Match Case shows up) it should be o.k.  To be
safe, you can enlarge the title and author's name if
they aren't already, but usually they are different,
either in larger font or something like bold or
italics.

Cindy

http://mail.yahoo.com