[bksvol-discuss] Bookshare Data Rolled Back

  • From: "Peter Scialli" <Peter.s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:24:12 -0500

Hi All,
There was a problem with the Bookshare master data base on Monday afternoon. In fact, there was some very serious corruption to the data base. Our web server guru got it fixed, but about 28 hours of Bookshare data was totally lost. Yes, we checked, and there was no way out of this situation!
As a result of the above, the Bookshare data, all of it has been set back to the way it was this past Monday at Noon Pacific Time. So, if you've submitted anything between then and last evening, you'll need to resubmit it. If you had something approved by the site administrator, you will receive a new message when he approves it again. If you downloaded anything for vlaidation, it may appear on the site as being ready for download, etc.
I think the best approach is to just take note of anything that seems amiss. We will not be able to answer individual questions on exactly what has been undone in your specific case. However, after a day or two, if something seems to be wrong and you can't fix it by redownloading or whatever, please let us know.
By the way, for anyone who has subscribed or renewed in the past two days, the data may have been temporarily lost from the web site, but our trusty site administrator has independent copies of all the money stuff and he will restore that information. So, if you've paid for something and now the site says you haven't, please don't worry about it for at least a day or two. It will more than likely be corrected in due course.
We apologize for the inconvenience.

Peter M. Scialli, Ph.D.
Associate, Technical Projects, Bookshare.org
www.bookshare.org

A Project of The Benetech Initiative - Technology Serving Humanity
peter @benetech.org
www.benetech.org