[bksvol-discuss] Book submitted: Let There Be Light: A Book About Windows

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 21:22:03 -0500

O.K. so I reckon the topic of this book seems a bit odd, but it is an
intriguing book and quite informative.  Should be an easy proof for someone.

ISBN:
0-690-04693-6

Title:
Let There Be Light: A Book About Windows

Author(s):
James Cross Giblin

Publisher:
HarperCollins Publishers

Copyright Date:
1988

Copyrighted By:
James Cross Giblin

Brief Synopsis:
Surveys the development of windows from prehistory to the modern era.

Long Synopsis:
Windows are our eyes on the world. Through them we can gaze at our surroundings
and, looking out, feel connected to the larger world outside. Windows transform
our interiors, filling a room with light and letting cool breezes in. Windows
protect us. But windows are vulnerable, too. A well-aimed rock can shatter one
in an instant. For as long as there have been buildings, there have been
windows. A simple roof hole, a narrow slit-these served as windows in early
structures. Later windows might be covered with anything from mica to paper to
a fish bladder; the transparent pane of glass we take for granted today took
many centuries to develop. In the Middle Ages, with the achievement of stained
glass, windows became the focus of a great outpouring of artistic expression.
Today the "walls of glass" of the modern skyscraper represent the ultimate
window. In this wide-ranging history, we also learn of the role windows have
played in many dramatic events, from castle sieges to the infamous
Kristallnacht of Nazi Germany to riots that scarred American cities in the
1960s. With the aid of splendid pictures, James Cross Giblin traces the
intriguing development of windows-in our homes, our houses of worship, our
offices, and public buildings-and shows how they illuminate our lives.

Comments:
Has been read through. page numbers need to be added to blank pages. blank
pages contain photographs, and illustrations which are described somewhat in
the caption. Has some foreign names and words. Should be a easy proof. if you
have questions please contact me: juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Adult content:
No

Language:
English US

Book Quality:
EXCELLENT

Categories:
Nonfiction, History, Children's Books, Art and Architecture

B4E Significant:
No

SFWA Challenged:
No

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A., CVRT
Bureau of Blindness and Visual Services
4200 Lovell Place
Erie, PA 16503
814-871-4401
sherhodes@xxxxxxxxxxx

Notice:  On **Friday, July 29th**, the commonwealth will be adding @pa.gov as
the primary email domain for all state employees.  For example:
sherhodes@xxxxxxxxxxx will now be sherhodes@xxxxxxx The email addresses ending
in @state.pa.us will continue to function so that emails will never be
interrupted.  We appreciate your cooperation as we take a small step to
increase the usability and consistency of the commonwealth's online
communications.