[bksvol-discuss] Re: Book chopping or other defacing

  • From: "agoldringtajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:09:06 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Jamie,

For those who do not already know how to "chop" a book - painful though it
may seem - this is how I did it - I removed the cover as one piece and then
had the "spine" cut off by the nearest hardware store like Ace's or Lowe's
or you local store.  It may seem dreadful but sometimes it not only
facilitates the use of the ADF scanner but the use of a normal scanner.  In
addition, it insures that the words on the inner margins will be included
without distortion.  I did it when I was scanning so that I could insure
that the whole pages would be clear.

It is a choice between having one book for myself or having a really good
copy of a book for Bookshare.  And I can always keep the cover with the
loose pages to use to check the original when validating the copy.  And if I
want my heirs to inherit the book they will be happy to have something from
me even in that form. I would not recommend doing it to first printings and
first editions;  Nor to very valuable editions.  One book I splurged and
bought in paperback to avoid harming my hardback while still getting a copy
I could read from the scan. I needed the scan  to read but would not harm
the good edition and it was worth the $ to get the paperback.  In most cases
I would not, could not afford to do that but I really wanted to read the
book.

As for annotating your own books by highlighting or writing notes.  For
books you will keep the notes will help you when you next read it or use it
for reference and may also trigger memories of a time and place - hopefully
good.  You might also find you are adding notes each time you read it.  Some
of my books have sections with multi-colored comments and under-linings.
Some books I have lent or given to people who were grateful for my notes.
It is different if you need to resell the books but for keepers, do yourself
the favor and highlight and make notes for your future or your offspring.

Amy in Florida - stay warm