[bksvol-discuss] Re: All quote closed quotes

  • From: Chris Fleming <wellbeing@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:55:53 -0600

Hi Kellie and Cindy,

In Microsoft Word, I believe this goes back even to word 97, I'm using 2003--anyway, in the Insert Menu under Auto text, auto format tab, there is a checkbox for "straight quotes with smart quotes". If it's checked, I think that is why the quotes are being changed based on context.

I experimented with this with the checkbox checked and used an RTF file that I know was scanned in K1000 and was able to globally replace open and close quotes with the standard quote. I unchecked the box, saved the document and opened it again and the open and close quotes were gone. Standard quotes remained!

Chris

At 06:53 PM 3/7/2005, you wrote:
Cindy, I think you're right, and the computer is deciding to display the
quotes based on context. Unfortunately the converters aren't so intelligent.
Kellie