[bksvol-discuss] A Message For Our Baby Boomers And Senior Citizens

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:33:53 -0500

Hi, everybody. I just found a site that might help us reach people who need Bookshare's services. It's a social networking site for senior citizens and baby boomers. It's somewhat like MySpace or Facebook, but it's exclusively for seniors. There are a lot of good people on this site, and some of them are losing their sight. Others have friends or family members who are going blind. This seems like a perfect opportunity to reach people who usually aren't at the blindness conventions and who don't know anything about how blind people read. Maybe some of you here know what that feels like. I would love to help these people. I don't think I'm supposed to use the site though since I'm only in my thirties. Does anyone here have an interest in making some new friends online and possibly learning how to post about Bookshare on this site? It's free to use, and the people seem to be really nice. The site seemed pretty easy to read with Jaws 9. I can't speak for other screenreaders. The address is http://www.eons.com/ Even if you don't feel up to posting right now, you might enjoy reading about what's on the site and reading posts by other people who share some of your memories.

Monica Willyard