[bitlug] Re: linux 0.01 on floppy

  • From: Peeyush Prasad <peeyush@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bitlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:33:54 +0530 (IST)

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Turuvanur Pavan-A20404 wrote:

> >facing problems loading it. could u please tell us how we can run it from
> >the floppy? this >os uses the minix 1 file system. we wish to load it onto
> >the floppy n run it from there.
> >deadlines r approaching n we have a lot to do. assistance at the earliest
> >would be highly
> >valued.
>
> Hi firaz,
>
> I'm not very much aware of the problem or it's solution. But from what you
> have written, I feel that you have not been able to create a minix filesystem
> on your floppy.
>
> You might have taken a look at it, since it is part of the linux_scratch
> project.
>
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_scratch/appendixa/util-linux.html
>
> go to the ftp site listed here and download the tar file(Pick up the latest
> version). It is sized some 1.75 Mb.It has all the linux-utilities required
> for the 0.01 version of linux.
>
> I havent tried making a minix filesystem on a floppy using these sources.
> Hope you can make it. Put the results on the list.
>
> Also, if you are unable to access them, let me know.
>
> HTH
> TC

Hi Firaz,
 Another thing you could look at is bochs, an x86 simulator for linux.This
would give you an actual 386 machine, and you don't have to go through
multiple reboots for booting 0.01.It is ~3.7 MB download.
 www.bochs.sourceforge.net/
 Of course, you still need to create a minix filesystem,wither on floppy
or on a hard disk image file. I noticed mkfs.minix on a default RH7.3
machine... you could try that.
 let us know of what happens.
-- P
P.S - can you post your compilation output for 0.01 here??