[birdky] Re: wild turkeys

  • From: Elizabeth.Ciuzio@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:58:57 -0400

I forwarded this question to one of our turkey biologists and here is his
response:

The answer is: No, a white wild turkey does not necessarily imply
cross-breeding with domestic stock.  There are several "color morphs"
ranging from smoky gray to all white, that are occasionally observed in wild
turkeys.  I'm not sure how often this occurs in wild turkeys, but I do know
it is not exceedingly rare (there's a white bird among a flock we were
trying to trap in Larue Co.).

From: "Mark " <benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [birdky] white turkey
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 18:34:58 -0500

06 April 2004:

While driving home from Bowling Green today, a flock of about 6 Wild
Turkeys were observed.  One of the birds appeared at a considerable
distance to be solid white/whitish.  Of course, I am aware of domestic
Turkeys that are white.  Does this phenomenon occur often in Wild
Turkeys?  Does this bird imply crossing of Wild and Domestic Turkeys?

Mark Bennett
113 Iroquois Circle
Russellville, KY  42276

benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx