[birdky] w. Henderson Co. Sloughs

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:10:14 -0500

I checked out the various sloughs in western Henderson Co. this morning (8/28) . Now, with the rain we had this week, most of the sloughs are flooded up into the weeds...so not good shorebird habitat yet. With Katrina coming it looks like even more rain to raise the levels even higher.

I was at Hardy Slough dam at 6 AM hoping for some warblers, no luck (beautiful big red sun rising over and reflecting on the slough). Shorebird Unit...too much water. 268 slough too much water up into the weeds. Next onto 1574 slough...high water. Powells Lake/Grassy Pond Unit..high water.

Horseshoe Road slough lots of water...not like early summer, but not dried up anymore. The water is not up into the weeds. Most shorebirds seen here.
At Horseshoe Road slough:
Great Blue Heron 1
Great Egret 1
Mallards (some coming out eclipse plumage) 10
Blue Wing Teal 4
Killdeer 10
Solitary Sandpiper 1
Pectoral Sandpiper 1
Least Sandpiper 5

Next Pond Creek slough. Water is way up. (Trapping gear removed.)
Great Blue Heron 2
Common Moorhen 1

Charlie
Henderson KY

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Visit the Kentucky Ornithological Society
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison, Richmond, KY