[birdky] smart spotted sandpiper

  • From: "Lyneart" <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 05:28:10 -0500

Sunday morning, I stopped by my 50 x 100 foot back field pond, which the cows
haven't run in all year. After I stood still for a while, a spotted sandpiper
materialized from the background and began working its way along the shoreline,
heading in my direction and behaving as if it had no awareness of me. It
eventually worked its way within 25 feet of where I was standing. If it had
maintained its course, it would have disappeared behind some intervening
vegetation and reappeared about 5 feet beneath my feet. Just as it was about to
disappear behind the intervening vegetation, it turned around and began working
its way in the opposite direction, demonstrating that it had been aware of me
all along.
Frank Lyne frank@xxxxxxxxxxx near Dot in Logan County