[birdky] preliminary results of clinton county foray

  • From: Stephen Stedman <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:50:02 -0500

During the period of June 12-14, 2009, several birders got together to
conduct a foray in Clinton County, Kentucky.  A foray is an attempt to
survey the breeding birds of a single county in an effort to find as
many species as possible, to determine the distribution of each species,
and to determine the abundance of each species.  Clinton is the first of
about 10 counties within the Upper Cumberland Region of Kentucky that
will be the subject of foray efforts from 2009 to 2016.

You may access a page of my website that provides some preliminary
results of the foray via this link:

http://iweb.tntech.edu/sstedman/ClintonCountyForay2009--CentralNode.htm

Data for 97 species were obtained during the foray.  If you click on the
names of the species in the table at this page, you can view a map of
Clinton County on which is superimposed a grid of the county that
includes 24 blocks that were surveyed.  Blocks that are colored are ones
in which the species was recorded. Different colors indicate different
abundance of the species from block to block.

During the 1985-1991 Breeding Bird Atlas in Kentucky, four blocks in
Clinton County were surveyed and 82 species of breeding birds were
recorded.  A comparison of the atlas maps in Palmer-Ball's atlas (1996)
with the maps at my website reveals some changes in the county avifauna
during the years that have passed since the end of the atlas project.
Other matters about the birdlife of the county may be elucidated by a
review of these two sets of maps.

Thanks to those in KY and TN who took part in this effort to survey
Clinton County last month; I hope to see you and others in a nearby KY
county next June.

Steve Stedman

Cookeville, TN