[birdky] new bird for my place

  • From: "lyneart" <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:15:19 -0500

I was walking home from the back field late this afternoon when all of a sudden
Pepper went into pursuit mode. I looked up the hill ahead and saw through some
obsuring trees a large animal bounding across my field of view. For an instant
I assumed it was a deer. An instant later, when it bounded on into the open I
could see it was an Emu. I have seen these birds plenty of times penned up like
so many chickens. It's quite a different experience seeing one racing across a
hillside as fast as deer.
  A little while later when Alison and I went out for our afternoon walk it was
still in the back field, pacing the fence, trying to figure out how to get back
out. There are some log step overs in the woods. It must have come in that way
because it seemed unable to jump over the fence it was pacing beside.
 A neighbor says it has been free roaming for some while.
 I hope it's gone by morning. I don't especially want to have to round it up.
Frank Lyne frank@xxxxxxxxxxx