[birdky] in search of the Roaseate Spoonbill

  • From: "Nancy Moore" <jaybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <BIRDKY@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:30:38 -0500

Phillippy Pits , Lake Co. Tn.
Lake #9, Fulton, Co. Ky

After reading the email this morning about David Roemer finding the Spoonbill
at Lake #9  I drove up to Phillippy first and checked out the mass of 300 Great
Egrets and a lesser amount of Great Blue Herons and one Adult Little Blue
Heron.  Scoped for a while with no luck and then drove up to Lake #9 and drove
as far as I could into the field and to the lake....walked out and scoped for a
while...not a lot of birds there.  Some Great Egrets and Great Blues.  Could
not spot any pink anywhere...drove back to Phillippy after checking out a
slough that has water and it was virtually empty of birds.....rechecked
Phillippy and still no pink bird.....

My first Roseate Spoonbill was found here at Phillippy Pits by a group from the
Memphis TOS on a field trip, I believe that was in 96. I am not sure now if
that was a state first or not.  Might have been the 4th record...??

Awesome bird!

Nancy Moore
Bluebasin Cove B&B
Reelfoot lake