[birdky] Re: bizarre heron behavior

  • From: lisa.hicks@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:16:52 -0400

Another $0.02 worth

Maybe that's why the landowners blocked access to this stretch of river in
the first place.....?

I've read several papers documenting disturbance related behaviours similar
to this - mostly in raptors, but makes sense for any 'high-strung' species.
One study watched a prairie falcon aerie during logging operations; that
study showed that constant noise and general cacophony was actually less
likely to cause young-endangering behaviour than the abrupt, surprise, types
of noise (e.g. a boy yelling).  Makes sense to us humans, I suppose.  Same
with eagle or osprey nests along a highway - background noise can seemingly
be adsorbed by some species with little or no adverse effects; while other
species whig out at the mere mention of human presence (I'm paraphrasing, of
course [grin])

LISA A HICKS
Environmental Scientist
Division of Water
14 Reilly Rd
Frankfort, KY 40601
ph. 502.564.3410 x434
email. lisa.hicks@xxxxxx

#1 Game Farm Road
Frankfort, KY  40601
(502)564-5448 Ext. 368
shawchyi.vorisek@xxxxxx
http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachment, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender, by e-mail,