[birdky] Re: bizarre heron behavior

  • From: Shawchyi.Vorisek@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:17:40 -0400

Steve,
I don't think this is bizarre at all.  This is why we encourage folks to
leave nesting sites (ie. rookeries) alone during the breeding season.  The
young obviously were not ready to leave the nest and could not yet fly.  By
being there, your friend inadvertently alarmed the rookery, and during the
excitement, the young fell out of their nests plunging to their deaths.
This is similar to what would happen if you went up to a robin nest with
young close to fledging - they startle and often flutter out of the nest and
hopefully land on a nearby branch.  However, with these herons, they had
nowhere to go but down into the water since they couldn't fly yet.  Because
of this, we really discourage folks from going near active nests of all
native species.  You may want to encourage your friend to canoe the area
during the off-breeding months.

Shawchyi Vorisek
Avian Ecologist/Wildlife Diversity Program
KY Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources
#1 Game Farm Road
Frankfort, KY  40601
(502)564-5448 Ext. 368
shawchyi.vorisek@xxxxxx
http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachment, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender, by e-mail,