[birdky] Yard birds

  • From: "Susan Neace" <s.neace@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ky Bird" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 18:16:52 -0500

I was off work unexpectedly Thursday with a cold and spent the afternoon dozing
on the screened porch.  I have a red breasted nuthatch visiting - the first I
have seen here in a number of years.  I continue to see rose breasted
grosbeaks, a few at a time but most every day.  The real surprise visitor on
thursday was a male American Redstart - I've only ever had two here before, one
male and one female, sighted in different years and only just for a moment each
time.  This little male flew in and checked out the feeder area, lighting on
different branches for several minutes and some real good looks for me.   I
always forget how tiny they are since I see them so infrequently.  I also pass
on a report from a friend of mine who has a house on Lake Malone near the Shady
Cliff Restaurant.  He took his jet ski out last week on the section of the lake
on the other side of the bridge from the Shady Cliff and got to watch a Bald
Eagle fly over.  He shut down his ski and just watched the bird soar for some
time.