[birdky] Whooping cranes or snow geese in Cecilia

  • From: "Aaron L. Rosenblum" <arosenblum@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 09:52:41 -0500

Last night around 5:30pm, in addition to a sighting of Brainard, and the
cranes, I spotted what I think were three snow geese in amongst the cranes
west of the lakes.

My first thought was whooping cranes, of course, but these didn't look big
enough or long enough. Then again, they were at the outer range of what I
could assess with my binoculars. They were in flight, just after taking
off, and just didn't seem to have the necks or legs for being cranes. White
bodies and wings with black wingtips for sure.

Any precedent for snow geese among the sandhill cranes, or much more likely
they were whooping cranes?

I got some great audio of the cranes, as well. I'll try to send along a
clip to the list when I have edited it down.

Aaron Rosenblum
Louisville, KY