[birdky] Whooping Crane viewing opportunity in KY

  • From: "Roseanna Denton" <roseanna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:32:55 -0500

I copied the information below from the Operation Migration website at:

http://www.operationmigration.org/Field_Journal.html

Birding smiles . . . . .

~Roseanna Denton
Science Hill, Pulaski County

Thanks to many co-operations extended to us by the great folks at Kentucky
Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources and USF&W in Kentucky, we hope to
provide Craniacs and the general public with an opportunity to view a flyover
as we go through the southern part of the Bluegrass state.

OM's pilots leading the Class of 2006 are going to try their best to over fly
the Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery as they leave Kentucky for Tennessee. The
Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery is located at 50 Kendall Road Jamestown, KY
42629. The following link will take you to directions and a small map.
http://www.fws.gov/wolfcreek/wolf_map.html

Assuming the team has flying weather tomorrow, (Tuesday, November 21st) they
will be leaving Washington County and heading for the next stopover location
which is in Adair County. Again, assuming good flying weather on Wednesday the
22nd, they will cover the next leg of the migration - Adair County, KY to
Cumberland County, TN. The viewing opportunity would occur during the
leg/flight leaving Adair County.

However, it is important to remember the key role weather plays in our ability
to fly on any given day. Just as weather can keep us grounded, it can also be
favorable enough that we are able to skip a stopover. This means that
individuals planning to go to the Hatchery to see the flyover need to keep in
mind that it could happen as early as Tuesday morning.

To see the 'hoped for' flyover on Tuesday, we suggest you be on site no later
than 8:15 am. (This will happen only if there is favorable flying weather AND a
stop is skipped.)

Failing this, on Wednesday (and each successive day until the weather is
favorable for flying) we suggest you be on site no later than 7:00am.