[birdky] White-faced Ibis and Hurricane Ivan

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:00:17 -0700 (PDT)

Dr. Gary Ritchison has published a photo of the
September 11 Fulton County White-faced Ibis on the KOS
website.  It can be viewed at the following link:

http://www.biology.eku.edu/KOS/whitefacedibis.html

Frank Lyne informed me that recent images were taking
a while to load on his computer, so next week I'll
send Gary copies in smaller file size for those
without high-speed internet connections.  Thanks Frank
and Gary.

I initially felt that the ibis was probably a first
year bird based on lack of gloss in the plumage,
particularly in the shoulder area where basic adults
retain some.  I sent images to Bruce Peterjohn who
agreed with the ID as a White-faced, but felt the age
of the bird could not be positively determined by the
photos, and thought it may be at least a second year
bird.  We both agreed that plumage indicated the bird
to be old enough to be showing pale edges to the loral
skin if a Glossy.  So I felt very strongly that the
bird was a White-faced based on this.

Nicole Ranalli stated while we were viewing the bird
that the eye appeared reddish to her, although I
couldn't be certain of that myself from the angle I
had.  Review of stills cropped from close-up video
taken through my scope do in fact show a reddish tint
to the eye, further confirming the ID as a
White-faced. I wish to thank Bruce for his review and
thoughts regarding the ibis.  This will represent
Kentucky's third record for White-faced Ibis if
accepted.

On another note, Hurricane Ivan approaches as does the
potential for great birds.  The greatest potential for
hurricane birds will depend upon where the low is
located as it approaches Kentucky.  Wallace Coffey
posted a very informative page on Tn-Birds which can
be accessed by the link below:

http://www.surfbirds.com/phorum/read.php?f=36&i=6221&t=622

dave