[birdky] WOW! WOW!

  • From: "Joan Carr" <joan-of-art@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:14:08 -0500

Hi All Birders,

I thought we had a great yard bird yesterday, A COOPER'S HAWK, but this
morning's first time ever sighting on the yard topped that. I had just
finished eating my breakfast in the upstairs sunroom when I spotted a large
black bird in the AMERICAN LINDEN TREE CLUMP about 25-30 feet up. I was
rather positive that it was a RAVEN. It was perched on a limb about 25 feet
away. After looking at it through my binocs, I was positive of the ID. I
already had the spotting scope set up, and Les took a look through the scope
and re-affirmed my ID. Now, how many KYBIRDERS have had such a bird at their
feeders? Unlike yesterday's visitor, the COOPER'S HAWK, the RAVEN  didn't
scatter the other birds. It walked all over the yard, looking for something
to eat. I have some frozen corn-on-the-cob in the freezer and plan to put
some on the ground later. However, the snow is very deep (6") and still
falling heavily and will cover up whatever is put out. Last year I placed a
tarp on top of the snow and put food on it. When the snow became too deep
for the birds to find the food, I shook the snow off and repeated the cycle.
The food disappears from the feeders quite rapidly, as do the suet cakes.

I hope that all of you are snuggled in and have plenty of food supplies!

Cheers,

Joan-of-art-and-nature (Carr) in Pike County's most eastern tip