[birdky] Trip report: Reelfoot Lake and Land Between the Lakes

  • From: "Patti Bell" <pbjoin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:25:37 -0500

We just returned from a weekend trip to Reelfoot Lake State Park in
Tennessee and Land Between the Lakes.  The main purpose of our trip was
eagle watching, and that was quite successful.  We took a van tour at
Reelfoot Lake and a cruise on Kentucky Lake at LBL, and both resulted in
many Bald Eagle spottings.  One of the LBL naturalists gave us a tip on the
eagles' evening roost, so we headed there around 4:00 pm and saw many eagles
flying in and roosting.  At one point we had 5 eagles in a single scope
view, and we could pan the scope horizontally and see 12 eagles at once!
Quite nice!  On the LBL cruise we also got a nice look at one Golden Eagle.

We enjoyed watching the eagles soaring around; several pairs of them seemed
to be beginning their courtship dances; we saw beautiful synchronized flying
along with a few "talon tag" maneuvers.  At times during our Kentucky Lake
cruise we saw as many as 5 in the air at once, looking like they were simply
enjoying the breezes.

A new experience for me was seeing a swirling mass of Snow Geese at Reelfoot
Lake; thousands of them creating a great cacophany of sound and visual
confusion.  The entire sky was covered with them!

Other highlights:
- Barred Owl at LBL who gave us a nice enough look that we got a decent
photo
- Northern Harriers at Reelfoot Lake
- many Red-Tailed Hawks at LBL
- American Kestrel at Reelfoot Lake