[birdky] Stilt Sandpipers at the Falls of the Ohio

  • From: CBirding@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:48:14 EDT

We took the boat to the Falls of the Ohio to spend the evening walking the
fossil beds. Many of the usual birds were present but we did find a pair of
stilt sandpipers. The gulls and Caspian Terns are increasing in numbers. The
river is rising and there is less habitat for shorebirds than there had been in

the past week. Water levels should fall later this week.

Double-crested Cormorants
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy  Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-heron
Canada Goose
American  Black Duck
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
Black Vulture
Turkey  Vulture
Osprey
Red-shouldered Hawk
American  Kestrel
Killdeer
Lesser Yellowlegs
Spotted Sandpiper
Pectoral  Sandpipers
Stilt Sandpiper - new for the week
Ring-billed Gull
Caspian  Tern
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Common Nighthawk - first of the  season
Chimney Swift
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy  Woodpecker
Eastern Kingbird
Barn Swallow
Carolina Wren
American  Robin
Northern Mockingbird
Starlings
Northern Cardinal
Indigo  Bunting
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

At the North Point Business Park, we also saw
Horned Larks - 8
Mute  Swans - 2

Tom and Colleen Becker