[birdky] Re: Starlings....

  • From: "Michael Hamm" <hamm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <one4est@xxxxxxxxx>, "bird KY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:47:56 -0500

A few years ago, Danville hired some "experts" to deal with our huge
starling problem. If memory serves me correctly, they estimated 250,000
birds in my subdivision alone. I know that I had a couple thousand in my
yard at night (I had a lot of pine and spruce trees where they roost in
winter). I had about half my evergreens removed at considerable expense.
I still have a problem--the starling droppings really smell on a warm
winter day--but the problem is not as great as it had been before I
thinned out my evergreens. I think Boyle County now puts out poison bait
in the surrounding cornfields, and you see a number of dead starlings
which are often eaten by the resident Cooper's hawk. Hopefully whatever
poison they use will not harm the hawk.

Starlings were introduced into Central Park in NYC--50 pair, I think--
and have become a nationwide nuisance. And they make it hard for
bluebirds and other native cavity nesters to nest--hence the number of
slotted bluebird houses around here.

Michael Hamm
Danville