[birdky] Re: Sandhill Flickr Album Is Up from Tuesday a.m.

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "tingsgrove@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: moyerjd@xxxxxxxxx, birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:14:07 -0500

Hi Jim, your images are all  wonderful...nicely done and bravo for arriving
so early.

I went today as well and found about 50 birds  behind the fire station and
then the second driveway beyond that where the  manmade pond is, was loaded
up with Sandhill Cranes.  Another wonderful  find, while at the Fire
station, was 5 gorgeous Red-tailed Hawks flying over the  field.  I too drove
out
Hwy 86 West to the second turn off to the  right and found loads of birds out
that way also.  My images will be shared  from last Monday's visit to
Cecelia, and those today on my blog this coming  Friday.

tingsgrove.blogspot.com

Everyone have a great remainder to your  week~

(Mary Howell Cromer
LaGrange, KY
Oldham County)

In a message dated 2/3/2015 3:08:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
moyerjd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimmoyer/sets/72157650216918570/

I went to Cecilia on KY 86 in Grayson County this morning, in search of
the sandhill cranes.  The firehouse was easy to find, but there was not a
bird in sight.  I went west on KY 86 to KY 1375, and eventually found  them
about a mile or a mile and a half south of KY 86.  The were in farm  ponds on
both sides of the road.  The farm ponds were largely frozen  over, and my
initial photos had the challenge of shooting into the rising  sun.  It was just
past sunrise, around 7:45 a.m., when I started to  photograph.

After photographing for about 10 minutes, I discovered that a slightly
smaller group was to my back, across the road, in another pond.  This  allowed
for some nicely lit photos with a very blue sky.  It was 17  degrees, so it
was clear and humidity was low, aiding the photography.

I had to leave Louisville a little after 6 a.m. to make this work.   I did
have a gasoline stop on the way down, but if I had been 15 minutes  later, I
would have missed the sunrise liftoff of the birds.

As I've mentioned, I'm a beginner, so this was quite an exciting  outing.

Cheers,

Jim

--
Jim Moyer