[birdky] Sandhill Flickr Album Is Up from Tuesday a.m.

  • From: Jim Moyer <moyerjd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 15:08:11 -0500

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimmoyer/sets/72157650216918570/

I went to Cecilia on KY 86 in Grayson County this morning, in search of the
sandhill cranes.  The firehouse was easy to find, but there was not a bird
in sight.  I went west on KY 86 to KY 1375, and eventually found them about
a mile or a mile and a half south of KY 86.  The were in farm ponds on both
sides of the road.  The farm ponds were largely frozen over, and my initial
photos had the challenge of shooting into the rising sun.  It was just past
sunrise, around 7:45 a.m., when I started to photograph.

After photographing for about 10 minutes, I discovered that a slightly
smaller group was to my back, across the road, in another pond.  This
allowed for some nicely lit photos with a very blue sky.  It was 17
degrees, so it was clear and humidity was low, aiding the photography.

I had to leave Louisville a little after 6 a.m. to make this work.  I did
have a gasoline stop on the way down, but if I had been 15 minutes later, I
would have missed the sunrise liftoff of the birds.

As I've mentioned, I'm a beginner, so this was quite an exciting outing.

Cheers,

Jim

--
Jim Moyer