[birdky] Rpt: North Lexington waterfowl

  • From: Ian Stewart <itsacharliebrownchristmas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:26:33 -0500

I was out at Spindletop this morning (the UK farm, just north of Lexington) and
found the lake there to be awash with birds, more than I have ever seen there
before. I wondered if the cold snap concentrated them.

Canada goose 433. Amazing to see over 400 geese on this lake, as it isn't very
big!
Mute swan 2. (First time I have ever seen swans in Kentucky)
Ring necked duck (60)
Redhead (40)
Gadwall (8)
Mallard (8)
Bufflehead (1)

Also maybe 6 each of horned larks and meadowlarks.The lake is a great place to
watch waterfowl as there is a track right alongside it. It was a really bright
morning, I just wish I had a decent camera to record all this stuff.

Cheers
Ian

Ian Stewart Department of Biology University of Kentucky Lexington KY
40506-0225 (859) 323-9499 itsacharliebrownchristmas@xxxxxxxxxxx
Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail®-get your
"fix".