[birdky] Rpt: Belated LBL posting

  • From: Ian Stewart <itsacharliebrownchristmas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 20:40:25 -0400

Hi all,

This is a delayed posting of a trip some friends and I made to the Land between
the Lakes area (near Kenlake resort park) June 2nd -4th. We had a great time
and saw over 80 species.

Highlights included 13 spp of warbler (Parula, Prairie, Common Yellowthroat,
Cerulean, Black and white, Worm-eating, Blue-winged (15 males mistnetted!),
Yellow-throated, Kentucky, Prothonotary, Louisiana waterthrush, Redstart,
Yellow-breasted chat), broad-winged and red-shouldered hawks, Great egret,
Red-eyed, white-eyed and yellow-throated vireos, osprey on the platforms (and
sadly a dead one by the side of the big bridge) and also what I strongly
suspected at the time were cormorants on Lake Barkley. I mention it because a
recent poster noted they were breeding there.

I wholeheartedly recommed a trip here to anyone, it was my first time and I
loved it. If you are a photographer you will be in heaven as there is such a
range of habitats to capture, plus every night we had gorgeous sunsets over the
lakes. There is one small lake just near Kenlake (with nesting ospreys) that is
fringed with semi-submerged trees and reed-beds and watching the sun going down
over it was amazing. Plus there a lots of friendly small towns all around the
area with interesting local restaurants and plenty of accommodation options.
The birding opportunities are great, with many accessible woods, grasslands,
small lakes and pull-over spots so that you can scan the bigger lakes. A great
place to go for a weekend!

Cheers
Ian

Ian Stewart Department of Biology University of Kentucky Lexington KY
40506-0225 (859) 323-9499 itsacharliebrownchristmas@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_062008