[birdky] Rough-legged Hawk!

  • From: Stephen Tyson <kytysons9152@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BirdKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 08:50:08 -0600

eBird Checklist - 17 Dec 2023 - Tyson’s Acres (access by permission only) - 30 speciesebird.org
Adding link to my checklist, with some lousy photos.I’m watching an absolutely lovely Rough-legged Hawk that is perched on a spindly limb, high in the sinkhole thicket trees, southeast of the house.  I drove closer after spotting it from the house.  There are a number of Red-tails nearby and I have been wondering if they will chase it away but for now it seems settled. It caught my eye, when in the air, because of a very distinct white-to-dark underwing pattern, and white on the upper tail, almost like a Harrier.  When flying toward me, my impression was its head and upper body were almost white. Its current perch is showing pale underneath at the base of the tail.
This is a house-list first, and a great early Christmas present. :-)
Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co.

PNG image