[birdky] Re: Request for Information: Hummingbird dates

  • From: Mark Monroe <markmonroe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 23:01:16 -0400

We have had multiple birds that we did not learn about as late as
Christmas over the years, and that their original time of arrival was
not known.  Off the top of my head, the latest confirmed 'arrival'
time of a Rufous was Nov. 28, but it's very possible for birds to be
'frozen' out of more northern sites and end up here at any point
during the winter, which is why we suggest anyone willing to keep a
feeder from freezing to do so.

Brainard might have better date info to provide.

Mark

Mark Monroe
Louisville, KY
Hummer/Bird Study Group