[birdky] RPT: Recent highlights ... 3rd Rufous Hummer, Saw-whet Owls, tardy Wood Thrush

  • From: brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 05:46:53 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

body{font-size:10pt;font-family:arial,sans-serif;background
-color:#ffffff;color:black;}p{margin:0px;}

Yesterday afternoon I banded the 3rd Rufous Hummingbird of the season. This
one, like the previous two, is an immature female. It is on Barren River
Lakesouth of Glasgow in Barren County coming to the yard of Lew &Ruth Young.
The Youngs also have an immature Ruby-throated Hummingbird that I banded;
theclean white throat said female but the measurements were more like a male
than a female. If anyone would be interested in visiting the Youngs, email
meand I can provide you with contact info.

After banding the hummers, Eddie Huber, Russ Thompson, and I checked a few
spots on the lake for waterbirds. There were only scattered birds including
about a dozen Common Loons, 35 Horned Grebes, at least a couple of hundred
Bonaparte's Gulls, and a small flock of Ruddy Ducks.

At the family farm here in Louisville, Mark Monroe and I have been banding
Northern Saw-whet Owls. Since October 24th in five nights of netting, we've
caught 9 birds with probably some additional birds heard. The migration has
been sort of slow to develop this year; according the the owls' long term
pattern of movements over the years, it was supposed to be a banner year,
but there have not been a lot of immature birds and we're thinking it might
be one of those years when a lot of birds are stopping to winter just to our
north.

Other recent highlights from the farm have included a single Pine Siskin one
day last week, a few Purple Finches and Rusty Blackbirds flying overhead, "a
bunch" of American Woodcocks on Friday night, and a very tardy Wood Thrush
that Mark and I saw in the yard Friday evening (November 4th).

bpb, Louisville