[birdky] Re: Red Tails slow construction

  • From: "Eileen Wicker" <raptors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'birdky'" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 13:44:42 -0400

We were called about this a couple of months ago and referred the
construction people to Special agent Bob Snow at USFW. The Hawks
are actually RSH Hawks which are very territorial at nesting time
and will attack; we have had several cases of this throughout the
state this year. The chicks could have been moved with a
depredation permit and we could have raised them here but the
owner of the building preferred to let the parents raise them and
disperse naturally so they delayed the glass being placed.  He had
some past affiliation with Mammoth Cave and did not want to
interfere with the Natural process of nesting.  As habitat loss
becomes more and more prevalent RSHA are becoming more and more
aggressive and we had at least 10 cases this year of parent birds
attacking homeowners, with one parent actually being shot and we
had to recover the young.

Eileen

Eileen Wicker

Raptor Rehabilitation of KY Inc.