[birdky] Recent Highlights

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 06:38:18 -0700 (PDT)

June 19

MORGANS' POND/CHRISTIAN
Wood Duck brood
Blue-winged Teal (16 broods)
Mallard broods
Ring-necked Duck
Ruddy (4)
Pied-billed Grebe (2)
Lesser Yellowlegs (likely southbound migrant)
Black-necked Stilt (8)
Ring-billed Gull (2)

CHANEY/WARREN (down to 50' pool)
Blue-winged Teal brood
Mallard (3-4 broods)
Great Blue Heron (27)
Great Egret
Green Heron (7-8)

Joanie and I took a long weekend and toured western Kentucky and the Reelfoot
area.

June 20

KY DAM AREA
Ring-billed Gull (~35)
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (incubating or brooding)

OPEN POND/FULTON
Blue-winged Teal (3)
Mallard brood
American White Pelican (130)
Great Egret (many everywhere)
Mississippi Kite (scattered)
Bald Eagle (several)
Spotted Sandpiper
Black-necked Stilt (2)
Ring-billed Gull
Least Tern (120+ w/ many on nests or courting)
Loggerhead Shrike (only 3-4 seen in area)

LAKE 9
Wood Duck broods
Hooded Merganser (2-3 broods)
Least Tern (many in fields along west side)

STATE LINE SLOUGH
Wood Duck broods
Blue-winged Teal (4)
Hooded Merganser brood

June 21

WILLOW POND
Blue-winged Teal brood
Cattle Egret (2)
Variegated Meadowhawks (dragonfly)

OPEN POND
Am White Pelican (As the clouds lifted, so did the pelicans. We watched the
flock of ~130 thermalling before they left.)
Black-necked Stilts

SLOUGH ALONG LEVEE WEST OF OPEN POND
Black-necked Stilt

LAKE 9
Am White Pelican (~80)
DC Cormorant (10)

ISLAND 8 SLOUGH
Blue-winged Teal
Mallard brood

From the Hickman overlook we could see that the upper bottoms were flooded.
Great Egrets and Least Terns were seen moving around the bottoms.  We also had
a fly-by Northern Harrier.

ARMADILLO (Roadkill Purchase Parkway near 9 mile marker northbound)

June 22

KY DAM Area
Common Goldeneye (female)
Little Blue Heron (2 tree nursery)
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (pair feeding young)

KUTTAWA
Rookery busy with DC Cormorants, BC Night Herons, Cattle Egrets, and Little
Blue Herons making feeding trips.

MORGAN'S POND AREA
Blue-winged Teal ( At least 41 broods. One female had between 50 and 60
ducklings with her which likely represented several broods.)

Ring-necked Duck
Ruddy (6)
Coot (5)
Lesser Yellowlegs