[birdky] Re: RPTs: Gull roosts and Cecilia Sandhill Cranes ...

  • From: Judy Lundquist <jlq.sci@xxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 15:42:18 -0500

About the Cecilia Cranes, there is a side road at Dranes Lake. If you are going south on 1375 you can turn right on that road. I believe it is Wilmoth Lane. It has wide shoulders with room for several cars (not blocking access to the agricultural field.) A number of cars were parked there this morning and there were no incidents that I know of.

Judy Lundquist
Lexington

On 2/6/2015 8:16 PM, brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Louisville gull roost, Wed evening: Major Waltman, Rand Falls, and I watched
the gulls come in to roost. We were only able to find 2 and maybe 3 Lesser
Black-backed Gulls (1 ad., 1 or 2 2nd years). We did not see the Great
Black-backed despite it being a half-mile upstream earlier in the day.

Markland Dam/Craig's Creek, Gallatin Co. gull roost, Thurs evening: Eddie Huber
and I decided to check the gull roost off the mouth of Craig's Creek; we had at
least 1400 gulls, all Ringers except for 15-20 Herrings. I had called landfills
in Trimble and Boone counties earlier in the day, and both said they had gulls
on site; not sure if they appeared among the birds we counted or not. Otherwise
there were just a smattering of mostly common diving ducks; 60 Canvasback
downstream from Warsaw and small numbers of Greater Scaup above Craig's Creek
were the most interesting.

Freeman Lake and Cecilia cranes, Fri afternoon & evening: I ran by Freeman Lake
and saw only common waterbirds; a 3rd year Herring Gull was the most interesting
thing there; most of the lake was ice-covered. West of Cecilia, several thousand
cranes were seen late afternoon; most coming in to roost at the various Dranes
Lakes and Greer Lake along KY 1375, although there were also birds roosting at
three other ponds along KY 86 and KY 1357. I ran by the last three too late to
really see how many were at them. The area lakes and ponds remain lower than
normal, explaining why so many birds are down along 1375. I think the lack of great
roosting ponds will cause the cranes to move on as soon as milder weather arrives.

Cautionary note: Not all of the landowners in the vicinity are happy with all
the birders and photographers who have been in the area lately. I have found
most people receptive to both the birds and birders, but one person in
particular who lives along the stretch of KY 1375 at Dranes Lakes seems intent
on pestering anyone who stops along the road there. I suggest that those
visiting the cranes *not* stop on the pavement on the busier roads, and try to
pull completely off the pavement, but *not* beyond the highway rights-of-way.
If you get hollered at, please try to keep your cool and find another place to
park. Unfortunately, there are not many places along KY 1375.

bpb, Louisville

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.birdky.org

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at http://www.birdky.org

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Visit the KOS Photo Page to view photos of birds recently sighted in Kentucky:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kentucky_ornithological_society/pool

BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison. E-mail: gary.ritchison@xxxxxxx