[birdky] RPT:Jefferson Co. birding over the last week

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:19:50 -0500

After nearly two weeks of no birding I was itching for the first opportunity to
get out and "enjoy" the cold weather and spent from 1:00-6:00pm birding Schuler
Ln., Hays Kennedy Park and the Falls of the Ohio.

Schuler Lane - off Chamberlain Ln. in Northeast Jefferson Co.
Black Vulture-12
Killdeer-2
Rock Dove
Blue Jay-1 the only one all day
Am. Crow-flock of 80+ on farmland on covered bridge road
Horned Lark-30
No. Cardinal

Hays Kennedy Park/Garvin Brown Preserve- off Bass rd. intersects with River rd.
near US 42
No. Harrier-2 imm. and ad. male
Red-tl. Hawk-1
American Kestel- a pair
Mourning Dove
Downy Woodpecker-2
Pileated Woodpecker-1
Am. Crow
Carolina Chickadee-8
Tufted Titmouse-6
Carolina Wren-3 including one hiding the hollow of a tree
No. Mockingbird
Eu. Starling
Am. tree Sparrow- 2 and a flock of 30+
Song Sp.-12
Swamp Sp.- 6
White-thr. Sp.-12
White-cr. Sp.-3 first I have seen in Louisville in winter in I don't know how
many years
No. Cardinal
Eastern Meadowlark- at least 4 probably more
Am. Goldfinch- 1 in mixed flock with chickadees acting like more like warbler
looked again to make sure it wasn't a pine- the only one all day

Falls of the Ohio
Canda Goose-20
Gadwall- 6
Mallard
Canvasback-pair
Lesser Scaup- pair
Bufflehead-3 pairs
Hooded merganser-pair
Double-cr. Corm.- 20+
Great Blue Heron-1
Ring-bl. Gull-60- most at harbor 8 or so at Falls
Am. Robin- 20 under a tree by visitor's center only ones all day
House Sp.

other misc. observations:
1 Bald Eagle- ad. by Farnsley Moremen on Greenbelt Hwy.
Blue-wg. teal-1 still below the Falls as of Thursday
3rd. winter Herring Gull at Indiana Harbor on Thursday
Am. Black Duck - today Jan. 20 1 above Falls
Hairy Woodpecker, Red-bl. Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker this moring behind my
apt. on Southern Parkway and Woodlawn- good for neighborhood!
there were about 150+ gulls at Falls today all appeared to be Ring-bl. but
maybe we'll get some movement- get out and check those gulls!
Good Birding,
Michael Autin