[birdky] RPT: Bernheim eagle trip results and Reformatory Lake, Oldham Co.

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:50:50 -0500

About 15 people attended yesterday's Beckham Bird Club field trip to Bernheim
Forest to look for eagles. The day was quite brisk to say the least! We saw 3
Golden Eagles, but none of them exceptionally well. Our best looks were at a
juvenile along Mt. Carmel Church Road and an unaged bird that approached then
glided off to the east, showing its golden nape. We didn't see much else,
although Red-tails and kestrels were conspicuous; 4 Mute Swans were at Lake
Nevin.

This afternoon I made a brief stop by the Reformatory Lake outside of Buckner,
Oldham County. I was surprised to find most of the lake still unfrozen, but
tonight with calmer winds a lot of it will probably freeze.

Ross's Goose 2
Canada Goose 1500+?
Cackling Goose 0 ... second time in a row I've missed them here in past couple
of weeks
Mute Swan 1ad
Mallard 100
Am Black Duck 25+