[birdky] RPT:Cecilia on 02/05; Whooping Cranes and large flocks of Rusty Blackbirds

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 20:07:34 -0500

I went to Cecilia yesterday with Gerald Heath, and from 2:40-6:00pm we birded
Cecilia looking for Whooping Cranes.  We found 2 that were close to 86 North of
Cecilia that departed about 15 minutes after we arrived. We continued to search
for them and found them again at dusk in a far field near where they were
initially encountered.  We also noted Eurasian Collared-Doves, and the largest
numbers of Rusty Blackbirds I have seen in my life.  I searched for Brewer's
Blackbirds while we were there and found none.  Also notable was the near
absence of raptors; no harriers, accipiters or even vultures.

Cecilia, Hardin, US-KY
Feb 5, 2012 2:40 PM - 6:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
20.0 mile(s)
Comments: w/Gerald Heath
37 species

Canada Goose 27
Great Blue Heron 3
Red-tailed Hawk 3
American Kestrel 2
Sandhill Crane 1200 known crane roost in Cecilia usually has more
Whooping Crane 2 on 86 North of Cecilia
Killdeer 4
Rock Pigeon 56
Eurasian Collared-Dove 10 in around Cecilia
Mourning Dove 25
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Blue Jay 8
American Crow 12
Horned Lark 8
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 6
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Eastern Bluebird 16
American Robin 250
Northern Mockingbird 4
European Starling 1000
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
Eastern Towhee 1
Song Sparrow 9
White-throated Sparrow 2
White-crowned Sparrow 6
Northern Cardinal 25
Red-winged Blackbird 450
Eastern Meadowlark 12
Rusty Blackbird 620 not making this up: nearly pure flock of about 500 birds at
Tabb Lane and Bethany Academy Road, and one flock of 45 further west on Tabb,
and about 75 in a mixed flock in Cecilia proper.
Common Grackle 800
Brown-headed Cowbird 18
House Finch 2
American Goldfinch 16
House Sparrow 45

On the way there we had a Pileated Woodpecker cross I-65 which is always nice,
and on the way home right around the Joe Prather Highway exit, a seemingly
round-winged and slightly slender owl passed over the car.  It was probably
just a great-horned, but it didn't look right to me.

Good Birding,
Michael Autin Louisville, KY