[birdky] RPT: Transient lakes run ... 7/14/2010

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 23:24:18 -0400

Eddie Huber and I toured some of the main transient lakes from Warren to
Christian counties today.

McElroy ... we have no good excuse for originally mis-counting the White Ibis
... let's see ... we told Jennifer *6* over the phone but she hit the wrong key
and typed *7* ... no ... that's just a lie ... how about, it was REALLY hot,
even at 700 am CDT when we arrived ... ok ... not good enough aye? ... uhhhh
... how about we're both over 50, waaay past our prime, and can't see as well
as we used to ... yeah ... that'll have to do ...  We tallied 10 species of
shorebirds there but all in limited number except for Killdeer, which must
number more than 500 now (to me 10 areas of the lake with about 50 seemed
reasonable).

KY 739 Pond in Logan County ... thanks to Frank Lyne for confirming that the
ibis were still there; we couldn't resist the temptation to detour by there and
get White Ibis #s 7, 8 and 9 on the day ... :o)

Mosely Pond vicinity in Logan County ... juv. Little Blue Heron with some
common shorebirds.

Morgan Pond vicinity in Christian County ... the "main" pond at Morgan is still
there but it is not far behind McElroy ... I suspect it will be reduced to
mostly mudflats in 7-10 days; the next largest pond on the east side of Bullard
Lane only has a bit of mud in the far (east) end and most has already been
planted in beans; most of the other half-dozen or so ponds nearby are dry or
nearly dry. Highlights from here included two cute broods of Pied-billed Grebe
young (5 in each; one group only about half grown but the other 3/4 or more
grown ... a dip net rescue may be required if the lake goes quickly); 10
species of shorebirds again but we traded Black-necked Stilts at McElroy for a
pretty Long-billed Dowitcher on a smaller pond nearby that called nicely for us
after Eddie got through taking pics.

Swallow Spring in Christian County ... almost dry; 6 spp of common shorebirds
plus Great Blues, Mallards, and Woodies ... Eurasian Collared-Doves coming to
get drinks.

bpb & ebh