[birdky] RPT: Transient lakes roundup ... May 20th

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 08:59:21 -0400

Eddie Huber and I toured the transient lakes of southern Warren and Christian
counties yesterday, May 20th.

We were somewhat disappointed, coming away with only 11 species of shorebirds,
few waterfowl, and no terns, gallinules, whistling-ducks, or ibis ...

As has been reported recently, McElroy Lake remains high and backing into the
surrounding cornfields. Because the lakes came up so late, few waterfowl are
lingering on them, although McElroy, in particular, has a few. Although many
surrounding smaller bodies of water have receded, only a few had any numbers of
shorebirds at all, highlighted by about 10 White-rumps on Chaney Lake along US
31W and a Black-bellied Plover and about 60 Dunlin on an extension of McElroy
Lake west of KY 884 northwest of the lake, itself. A few roads in the area are
still blocked by high water.

In southern Christian County, even fewer lakes and ponds have receded, so
habitat was even scarcer there. We only tallied some common shorebirds and
waterfowl there.

bpb, Louisville