[birdky] Re: RPT: Red-necked Grebes ....

  • From: Rob Lane <shrikeguy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 13:45:17 -0500

Looks like Red-necked grebes are showing up in record numbers in far NE TN.
Will be very interesting how many will show up in KY on the way north.

Funny that a few of us were just discussing were all the Red-necked grebes had
gone with all the Scoters around. I have a feeling we will not be disappointed.

Here is a forwarded email from Rick Knight in Johnson City, TN on the tnbird
list serve. To quote Poltergeist the movie  " They're here!" : )

Good Birding,

Rob Lane
Louisville, KY

Following yesterday's passage of winter storm Titan, I made a check of two
area lakes today.  What a shocker it turned out to be.

Boone Lake, Washington & Sullivan Cos., TN
RED-NECKED GREBE  - - 86
Horned Grebe - 32
plus about 450 ducks of 16 species, including 1 male White-wg. Scoter

South Holston Lake, Sullivan Co., TN
RED-NECKED GREBE  - - 59  (1 in breeding plumage)
Horned Grebe - 46
plus about 280 ducks of 8 species

This combined total of 145 Red-necked Grebes is nearly 10 times the previous
state high count of 15   (10 Mar 2004 on South Holston L.)

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN